A Garment A Week – Week 36 – 09/09/16
Busy week with the Intermediate School production for Ethan and a Girl Guides camp for Lily. I will hopefully be able to show you some pics of the school costumes next week, they all did such a good job and they looked great! (still waiting on photo release from the school 19/09)
I have also started working on our Halloween costumes for Courtney’s party 🙂 So much sewing! But still having loads of fun 🙂
This is a top I wanted to make earlier when I made the black and white striped one. I didn’t have the right fabric but after an awesome second-hand shopping expedition for costume fabric this week, I came across a gold mine of fabric in one store! So this is made from thick black ribbing and a textured knit fabric. It’s reasonably light, so not overly warm but with a merino top under it’s perfect.
The body pattern is similar to the stripe top but cut a lot wider under the arm, giving a batwing sleeve look. The tight ribbing part of the sleeve is shorter, starting from below the elbow instead of above and the body length is cut shorter with a wide doubled over band of the ribbing. Which looks a little bulky in the photos as I had too many tops on underneath lol it was freezing outside! So the lower band will sit a bit flatter normally.
I cut the neckline an inch higher and should have narrowed the neckline at the shoulders too as it’s a bit too wide.
The fabric has stretched a little with sewing the ribbing on the neckline too, even with being careful not to. I’d have liked to add some mobilon (clear narrow rubbery tape) into the neck to help hold the shape but I’ve run out.
The ribbing may be a tad too heavy for the sleeves and neck but it still works good overall.
With the knit being a bit lighter weight I should get loads of spring wear 🙂I’d love to make it in a nice print too.