A Garment A Week – Week 42 – 21/10/16
Still costuming and working lots this week so today was my only day to sew at home around calf club, agricultural day helping as well!
This is part of Ethan’s costume for the party next week but as the lucky boy is off to Armageddon on Saturday with a friend and he wants to wear it, I get to show it off now
Here is his Dragon hoodie. It’s hard work costuming a teen with something they want to wear lol. After taking the longest time to figure out what he wanted to dress up as (costumes are mandatory or he’ll get stuck with fairy wings!), he settled on a game character of which I had none of the right coloured fabrics so we kept searching. We thought the idea of making something comfy and wearable after the party was awesome. I found a dragon hoodie on pinterest that looked like Toothless from How To Train Your Dragon. But Ethan decided he’d prefer the spikes to be pointed instead of rounded and I didn’t follow the picture, I created the pattern from what I thought would work.
The hood is a little short, the downfall of not taking time creating the pattern, but it works. It’s made up of two side panels and two back panels, the side spikes are cut with the panels but the centre ones and the top ear spikes are sewn into the seams. There’s a shoe lace cord running through the front casing on the hood that comes out from little eyelets. I think I should’ve put them on the outside though.
The spikes aren’t fused they’re just two triangles of fabric stitched and turned out the right way and top stitched. The extra fabric from the first seams once top stitched holds it’s shape really nicely.
The fabric that’s showing up slightly darker is textured and kinda looks scaly. The stripes of it on the front are stitched on top of the main fabric but the ones on the sleeves are panels. The top part of the sleeve is narrower (skinny Ethan still makes it look baggy lol) and the lower part of the sleeve is billowed out a bit. There’s three little spikes on the back of each arm too.
The square panel on the centre back is velcroed down at it’s bottom edge. Underneath there’s more of the loop side of velcro so once I’ve made his wings we can stick them on. Hopefully I’ll get time to make him a tail too and we can velcro it under the bottom edge of the band at the back.
The ribbing is a bit narrow but unfortunately it’s all I had left. I lengthened the arms and the body compared to his plain hoodie that I used to help make the pattern, as my boy keeps growing too fast, hopefully he’ll be able to wear it a few times before he grows out of it!
The pattern needs a bit more improving if I were to make another one but for the party this hoodie will work perfectly. He’ll hardly feel like he’s in a costume at all