A Garment A Week – Week 45 – 11/11/16
Miss Lily loves jumpsuits and onesies. When I found this piece of fabric she claimed it for one.
I’ve finally got around to making one. The pattern is mostly self drafted and partly taken from a kids basic jumpsuit pattern. It was a lot smaller than we needed and the shape was wrong for Lily.
The waist has elastic hidden in a casing made from the seam that joins the bodice to the pants.
The pants have pockets in the front, which in hindsight because this fabric is very light and very stretchy probably aren’t the best idea as they pull and sit out a bit. But pockets are always a must! lol
They also have a band / cuff at the hem. We made it 3/4 length as that’s what Lily prefers so the lower half of the legs are cut slimmer than the upper so they’ll hug her legs.
The bodice is cut in one piece at the front and two at the back. The sleeve cuffs are part of the bodice piece and folded back with stitches top and bottom to hold them in place. We should have done separate cuffs I think as when she’s wearing it, the cuffs unroll as the fabric is so light. I may have to sew them down.
The back has a split at the neck to aide in getting the suit on as it has to be stepped into and pulled up. This split is invisibly bound and a button loop added. The neck is finished with a band which is overlocked on so it will stretch as it gets put on.
Missy says it’s very comfortable and at the very least it’ll be a nice pair of summer pyjamas!