A Garment A Week – Week 23 – 10/06/16
Rather proud of this week’s garment 🙂
Jonny asked for a jacket to wear to work, I wasn’t sure what kind so have designed a couple. I decided to make this one up first.
The black is a quilted double layered knit and the blue is kinda like a heavy rugby knit. It’s lined with a brushed poly cotton for extra warmth. I think the black knit is a little too soft and stretchy, I’m not too sure how well it will wear and hold it’s shape. I did fuse the black pieces of the lining and I think I should have fused all the black.
The basic pattern shape came from an existing hooded sweatshirt. This also helped to get the sizing right. I’ve then adjusted it to the style I designed. The lower pockets are lined with the brushed check fabric (toasty hands). The top pockets with the flaps are big enough to hold a mobile phone. When sewing these pieces together for the top pockets, I should have made the top edge of the flap, that gets sewn in, a little bit bigger. Just so when top stitching the black above the pocket, the sewing machine foot would have had more fabric under it, it was a tricky line to sew and keep the line even.
I am going to sew a dome under the flaps to help keep it closed and it’ll also stop the pockets pulling out of shape when there are hands in the lower pockets. Or I may take it into work and get the bigger shiny silver domes or buttonholes and add some buttons.
The zip runs the entire length of the jacket right up through the collar, which was designed to stay up but it looks ok turned down too.
The cuffs and lower band are I think a bit of ponte fabric, I didn’t have enough ribbing and I think the heavier ponte works well. It’s amazing what you can find in my stash of fabrics at a pinch!
Hopefully a jacket that’ll get some wear this winter, it’s really warm and toasty – if Jonny doesn’t wear it much, I may have to steal it!